06 June, 2010

Rigenerator: Rig Code Generator, Milestone 1

Rigenerator is one of the toolsets from my modular rigging framework (which is still in very very early stage). My goal with this tool is to help riggers speed up the coding and modularizing of the rig components. This can also be used for copying, mirroring rigs of any kind. The first step for this tool is to generate the raw code which is the same as .MA file commands. There are some very useful functions in API to generate a lot of code directly (e.g. setAttr commands for given plug, check MPlug class). You can check an example plugin called MA exporter in devkit. Later based on this raw code this tool allows to organize it and add modularity.

In my previous planning, I wanted to work on this tool at a later stage. But, since I have to create many rig parts for the framework, I thought I would actually finish Rigenerator first. So I can create rigs in different ways and whichever I find the best, I can convert it into code using this tool. This will speed up the coding process for my rigs.

I have reached the first Milestone for this module. I am able to generate the raw commands to regenerate the rigs. I have planned many features for this tool which includes, mirroring, code analysis/modification, dg graph inclusion/exclusion options, mel or python options,  etc. I will post more on this as I make some progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment